Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

You know the routine.

There's an old addage that no news is good news. That's bunk. At least with adoption, no news is NO NEWS. Waiting is difficult. People ask often if we've heard anything and our answer seem to remain the same a lot more than it changes. My pat answer is "still waiting". Jess and I were talking about it the other night, how often we get asked. I think it averages about once per day. Sometimes more. When I stop and think about it, I'm glad people ask. But sometimes it feels like the question "How ya doin'?" You know the routine. You pass someone in the hall, nod and ask how they're doing. They say, "Fine. And you?" You tell them you're good and you both go on your merry way. Neither of you really think about the question. And likely neither of you answered honestly. It's not that you don't care. You do. Maybe. But that rhetoric has become so commonplace in our culture that our mouths are used to speaking it and our ears are used to hearing it. "Any news on the kids?" has become that for me. I hear it so often and repeat the same negative response so quickly...it's just habit for me.

Well, we have news!

I got an email the other day confirming that the embassy is calling in our kid's aunt for an interview. This is standard procedure and is part of the investigation to make sure that the closest living relative is aware they are being adopted and in fact will permit it. She has told our attorney already, but this is more official. So if she shows up and says the same thing she's said before then we should be cleared to travel! Her appointment is scheduled for April 2nd. Based on past families experiences we may get to travel within 3 or 4 weeks after that date! Can you believe that? We can't. Our kids, God willing, could be home by late April or sometime in May!

This is no guarantee. It could be longer. There could be more investigation. Who knows? You'll forgive my pessimism. We've waited a long time and had lots of hiccups along the way. I cope by trying not to let my hopes soar too high. But they are up there. I can't help it.

We get to Skype with them sometimes. About once or twice a month. When the transition house internet works and they happen to be on and we happen to be on, we Skype. It's in and out. Sort of frustrating. But their sweet voices and smiles are all we need to refill our tanks with hope and love and impatience. It's heart-wrenching too. They always ask when we're coming to get them. It's a realization that they spend their days waiting. They wake up wondering when we'll be there and go to bed thinking maybe tomorrow. There is not a day goes by I don't think of them, pray for them, stare at their picture, tell others about them. But I am able to distract myself. I mean, I stay busy with ministry. Evie keeps us in stitches. But they wait. I suppose it's a blessing they have each other. It's got to be tough. They've been in a state of transition for the last few years. I guess we all have.

Evie brings so much joy though. She truly is a measure of grace. An example of God's goodness, mercy, and joy. If I just still myself and think about that for a moment tears flow. We don't deserve her, yet she is here. I can't explain it. I don't know why He gave her to us. I only ask God to help me love her and lead her properly.

Her new thing is bouncing in this baby bungee thing. You know that thing in the mall. You pay someone to tie bungee cords to your waste while you jump on a trampoline and do flips. They make a home version for babies, minus the flips. And Evie loves it! She wears a huge open mouth smile and makes this deep laugh sort of sound with every lunge. Her feet actually don't reach the ground so it wasn't much for her to just hang there. Apples To Apples, the board game, has found a home under there. Now we're live!

Jessica has her on a workout routine. She bounces for 15 minutes 4 times a day. We call them four-a-days. She pukes and then keeps going. I'm kidding. Put down the phone. You don't know the number to CPS by heart anyway.


Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I cry and i laugh...such a great read every time...this one makes my heart smile!! Love you ALL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiling, I love your blogs and all God is doing in your lives. I receive hope and a strengthening of faith as I read all God has done and is still doing in your lives. I truly believe that God brought you to AMBC to be an example to us all that God is still in the miracle business and He does answer prayers. Love you guys and all that you receive you turn around and give back to our kids. Bless you and my prayers are with you and Jess and Evie and your others children in waiting. Kim Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,
    You MUST write a book someday.... you have such a way with words!!! Wonderful post; Wonderful news!! Praising God for the news on your kids: Praising God for you and Jessica; and praising God for little Evie!!!!

    ReplyDelete